Saturday 1 October 2011

Apollo Theatre, Harlem, New York

I've been to NY a few times over the years, my first visits being on business for RCA, but I'd never made it to Harlem or to the world famous home of urban soul and jazz, the Apollo.  Well this trip I was going to make it there and I did. Dissappointingly there is no museum or exhibit and to get a tour you have to prearrange it with them and be part of a group visit.

The very kind lady in the box office said we should go in to see the foyer displays of photographs of the past stars of that stage.  The staff opened the shop so I could buy a couple of books and post cards. They are missing a trick here - or am I a rare visitor on that basis. 

The venue still has an amatuer night and various appearances going on.  I will go back with, perhaps a bit more planning, the next time I get to the city.




Here are some of my pictures from the day - note the tribute to Nick Ashford (who died a few weeks prior to our visit) on the Marquee.



No comments: